Welcome to 20 Questions with Wrk—a variation on the classic roadtrip game where we pose 20 questions to a member of the intriguing cast of characters we are assembling here at Wrk. Unlike the original version of the game, our interviewees are free to answer questions fully so that we can really understand what makes them tick! OK, let’s get to it and see what’s inspiring our team today!
1. Your biggest guilty pleasure?
Caramel macchiato from Café Artigiano.
2. A perfect Sunday afternoon is….?
A dinner table full of people!
3. What are some of your favourite podcasts? (if you don’t listen to podcasts, substitute with tv shows)
I’ve been a long-time listener of the "Complete Developer Podcast." It’s nice and chill but also very informative.
4. What past trend or fad do you want to make a comeback?
5. What is your most embarrassing moment?
I was running a talent show back in high school, and I was behind schedule doing sound checks for the performers. I had to interrupt one of the performers a few minutes into her practice dance routine so I could speed up the schedule. I felt a little bad about it then, but during the actual show, she made a mistake in her routine right where I interrupted her during the practice. It was 100% my fault and I still feel bad!
6. What you actually do at Wrk?
I’m an Engineering Team Lead, which in startup-land means people manager, technical leader, and software engineer all in one. I spend the first part of my day heads-down in the code, then I shift to manager duties for the rest of the day. My team is responsible for the “engine” which is the big, complicated heart of our platform.
7. Your favourite lockdown activity is/was...?
At least for the first part of lockdown, all my roommates were home all the time, so I got to do a lot more barbecues than I normally would.
8. Your go-to karaoke song?
Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl. Gets the people psyched.
9. If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
Ability to pause time. Think of all the work I could do! Also to think of witty retorts to people instead of thinking of them 10 minutes after the conversation.
10. What can you not live without?
Friends and family.
11. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Drivers stopping for pedestrians not at a crosswalk. It drives me insane. It’s super unsafe because other cars think you’re waiting to turn and will just go around you, and so many pedestrians get hit because of this every year. I think it really gets to me because drivers think they’re being nice but in reality, they’re putting everyone in danger.
12. Describe Wrk in 3 words...
Customers lining up.
13. The best thing about working from home?
10 steps from my fridge.
14. And the worst?
10 steps from my fridge.
15. What movie title best describes your life?
16. Your top 3 dinner-guests (dead or alive) and why?
- Jesus (talk about a wild time in history)
- The Queen (bragging rights for life)
- Joe Rogan (he’s talked to so many people he’s gotta have some great stories)
17. Your proudest career-moment to date?
Building a radiology software company from scratch with a product in use at over 100 hospitals in Canada and the U.S.
18. What about Wrk fills you with pride?
Seeing how well my team works together.
19. Your favourite Nicholas Cage movie?
National Treasure! <3
20. Finally, pineapple on pizza. Yay or nay?
Want to learn more about our team? Check out our Company Culture video and blog posts!